Tuesday, September 9, 2008

ATTENTION SPORTS ANALYISTS:

OK...just stay with me here...stay with me...

...what you need to do is stop drinking...

...put the Kool-Aid down onto the desk...

...good...STAY WITH ME...

...now...back away slowly...you can do it...I promise...

...now breathe deeply...and start using your heads...


Yeah...Tom Brady is out for the season...and yes, it's a *HUGE* blow to New England. But before we go declaring the Jets the heir apparent to the AFC East crown, we really need to stop and consider a few things:

1) I know I lost the pick last week...but...I still stand behind what I said about the Jets & the Dolphins being evenly matched. Want proof? Sure: That WILDASS toss Favre put up & Stuckey pulled down could have just as easily gone AGAINST the Jets as it went for them. If Revis doesn't intercept Pennington's last toss...it's likely a Fins TD, and game. Still not convinced? Check the game stats. That game could have *just* as easily gone the other way...the Jets didn't prove a thing.

2) I know this is sacrilege...but I'm sorry to inform you that Brett Favre is not God. He is a legend for many reasons...and I have the utmost respect for him...but take a look back at Green Bay's record since 2000. Sure they got into some playoffs...but they've been on a downswing from the glory days of the 90's. Last season was their best in a while...and the NFC North isn't exactly tough. Is he an asset to any team? You betcha. Does it mean the team is suddenly ALL THAT? Uhm, no.

3) The Jets won 4 games last season. TWO of those games were against the Dolphins...one was against the Chiefs. Hi...are we really ready to say this team is a realistic super bowl contender one year later? I realize they made other moves besides *just* acquiring Favre...but...come on...you tell me how up you'd be on this team if Pennington (or Clemens) were at the helm right now...and I'll tell you uh huh...that's just what I'm saying.

4) Yes, Tom Brady is also a living, playing legend at qb at this point in his career. Yes, losing a player of that caliber would be a huge blow to *any* team. But...do the Pats begin and end with Tom Brady? No...they don't. Love or hate 'em...this is one of the most solid teams in the NFL right now...at every position, and on both sides of the ball. It takes a helluva lot more than a great quarterback to compile the record they have in the past 7 years. So while they won't amass the W's and the numbers they would with Brady...their season is far from over. I still think they're the most likely team to win the AFC East...and the Bills are the biggest contenders to upset that at this point...*not* the Jets.


Ok...there's my rant for the week. :P

1 comment:

Dot Lane said...

My girl knows her football!

<3